My name is Leah Crowley, and I’m running again for Board of Education. My husband, Pat, and I have lived in Winston-Salem since 2001. As a mother of four children, two who attend public school and two who have graduated, I know firsthand how a safe, nurturing learning environment is vital to the growth, well being, and future of all of our children.
Helping children has always been my passion. I have volunteered in over 40 schools in the county, as a substitute teacher, mentor, PTA officer, tutor, Girls On The Run coach, and as an instructor to 3rd graders about child abuse. I have also served on numerous local and non-profit boards.
In 2018, I ran for Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Board of Education because I wanted to make a difference. I was fortunate to win a seat and serve this district! The challenges we endured over the past few years have been significant. Despite these hardships and stressful times, I strive to be a voice of reason. We move forward when we listen to each other, collaborate, make compromises, and focus on what is best for children. The foundations of education are reading, writing, and mathematics. When combined with extracurriculars (such as the arts, athletics, clubs, etc.) the public school experience has the potential to create career and college ready, healthy, community-minded students. There is more work to do!
As your School Board representative, I will continue to
- be open and accessible, as evidenced by responding to hundreds of emails and phone calls and meeting with families, students, teachers, and administrators;
- support school choice, with capacity considerations to prevent overcrowding;
- support improving the neighborhood and magnet schools we have;
- advocate for increased compensation for teachers and school-based staff; and
- equip students with the tools they need to be successful.
Please vote for me for Board of Education – District 2 in the May 17 Primary Election. Early voting starts April 28. Click here for the One-Stop Early Voting Schedule.
I need YOUR vote! Thank you for your support!